Tuesday, November 5, 2013

We Belong!

Have you ever felt like you don't really fit in with the organization you belong to in the ward? Is Relief Society too old,  is Primary too childish, is Young Men's too weird, are the High Priests too old? I don't know about you but when I first went to Relief Society I felt like the women in there were too old and some were of the elderly kind but most were not. Little did I know that being over the age of 25 makes you feel incredibly old when you see Young Women come in or being 25 and up you are viewed as "old" by the Young Women sometimes. I guess that's what I get for being so judgmental and not having the vision the Lord wanted us to have of the organizations in the church. President Packer in a Conference address in 1998 was talking about Relief Society but I think his words can be applied to anyone and everyone. He said, "Too many sisters, however, think that Relief Society is merely a class to attend. The same sense of belonging to the Relief Society rather than just attending a class must be fostered in the heart of every woman. Sisters, you must graduate from thinking that you only attend Relief Society to feeling that you belong to it!"How often do we make a conscious effort to participate in the lesson, to consciously sit by someone instead of by ourselves and expect someone to talk to us. It can be very difficult. Maybe none of you are as self-centered as I tend to be and sometimes I fall into that trap of not moving after Sunday School to sit by another sister , talk to her, and then the lesson starts and I enjoy the lesson but never let anyone know I have a testimony of what is being taught. Hey, I'm human and in this I do constantly err. I think that's why the Lord inspires my local leaders to assign me subjects for talks on things like forgiveness and repentance, etc. It is time for me to recognize and truly believe that I belong to Relief Society always, no matter what calling I have been given that may take me out of the meeting on Sundays. We made a covenant at baptism that includes these things that I just loved to share with my investigators and members on my mission which can be found in Mosiah 18:8-11.
   8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

 9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

 10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?

 11 And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts.

There is so much strength, joy, and love to be found by knowing and believing that we belong and that we have made the choice with our friends and family to belong. We belong to the true church on the earth, we belong to a wonderful family, we belong to our respective organizations, and mostly we belong to our Heavenly Father who loves us unconditionally. I know we can be a greater force for good as we share our testimony, our experiences, and our love for each other in our meetings but also as we recognize we belong and act accordingly.
I tend to, ok, so I always ramble but I love you all and I hope this wasn't too confusing.
Kelly Kelly

3 comments:

  1. Kellys yo girl I was thinking a lot about those verses latley and i am so glad you put my thoughts in to words. Im not apart of the releif society but i am a memeber of the church. And what an important organization it really is. we have the oppurtunnity to feel the spirt with unperfect peoplee just like us. I love the beginning of your last paragraph how you said there was strengh, joy and love in it because its so true.
    --da wittilist bwuda eber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wittilist bwuda eber :), I think that's the greatest handicap we can give ourselves is to think that we are imperfect and don't have anything significant or profound to offer. We always do whether it increases our testimony by the bearing of it or strengthens someone else's. You're awesome cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for the record everyone I get to live 5 doors down from the pure awsomness of a sister who wrote this post. Thanks sis. This was good for me to hear. I've had a lot of teaching callings and so I have this need to pipe in and give comments just because I know how awkward it can be when nobody does. At the same time I always feel SOOO dumb afterwards because as you all know it doesnt always make a whole lot of sense when I try to put my thoughts into words. But I need to suck up my pride and not worry about looking dumb. I just need to do my best to reach out to others and speak up so I can be a part of building the kingdom. I love you sis!

    ReplyDelete